Attendance and Punctuality
Good attendance and punctuality are essential if you are to succeed at the Academy, in fact research shows that there is a direct link between good attendance and academic progress and achievement.
All students must make every effort to attend the Academy every day. However we accept that some students may become ill or have other genuine reasons for absence. Therefore we aim to ensure that no students’ attendance falls below 97%. If you are absent the Academy must be notified on the first day. A written explanation will need to be handed in when the student returns. Please note that the Academy will not authorise holidays taken during term times.
Key Attendance Points
- All students should be in the Academy for 8.25am and attend form.
- Students should attend the Academy everyday unless they are too poorly, excuses such as buying new shoes, Christmas shopping, birthdays, looking after brothers, sisters and parents, it’s the last day of term etc are NOT reasons to be absent.
- If your child is absent from the Academy you should telephone as early as possible with a reason. On your child’s return a note should be put in their journal.
- The Academy has the right to request medical evidence as proof of illness / appointments (this can cost anything from £10 - £20 from some GPs/dentists) If requested and you fail to produce these, absences will be unauthorised and a fine may be issued.
- No holidays will be authorised unless in exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the Principal. Fines will be issued for all unauthorised holidays.